Tuesday 4 June 2013

Arrested Development

So I finished watching the new season of Arrested Development on Netflix. Regardless what other people have said, it is good. I think the problem people have had with it is that most people have expected more of the same from the previous seasons, but it was never going to be the same. For one thing, the characters have all moved on with their lives, and whilst the decision to tell 7 years worth of stories from 9 different characters does make the narrative a little overwhelming, it still is a story of the Bluths. They're all still hilarious, just they don't all do it in the same room.
I've got to say, I understand that they couldn't get all the actors in the same place to film, but I would have preferred that they made episodes into smaller groups of characters. For example (Spoilers if you haven't watched the series yet) when Lindsey, Tobias and Maeby all end up going to India, I would rather they made those three into one episode, instead of telling the same events over 3 episodes from slightly different viewpoints. It would have at least reduced the amount of catch-up flashbacks from previous episodes that we had already seen.
I think people are upset because they have overhyped it over the years, and the fact that you can easily binge watch the season in one day can't help. I chose to watch a couple of episodes every day, which helped me to remember previous shenanigans but also not be overwhelmed by the amount of content that they crammed into every episode.
The season ends on several massive cliffhangers (more spoilers) with Buster arrested for murder, Gob fleeing from the Mongolians, Michael being punched by his son, George Michael because they are after the same woman, Lucille and George Sr getting a divorce, and many more. I read somewhere that Netflix would be interested in making another season, which I would much prefer to a film, and hopefully another season would convince the actors to devote more time to the show, therefore allowing them all to interact with each other more. The only downside to this season was the lack of interaction between the main characters.
Actually I did have one more quip, Ron Howard. In the third season, he appears briefly right at the end after three seasons of narrating. This season however, he appears quite a bit interacting with Michael. It does seem very strange that there are a few scenes where Ron the narrator is recapping events whilst Ron the actor is talking about the same thing on screen. It feels a little bit uncomfortable.
I feel like I've talked a lot of shit about the season. Personally I really loved it, I overhyped it a lot in my mind, I spent the last few weeks before season 4's release rewatching the previous seasons, and even though I knew this season would be quite different, I still went in with very high expectations. And honestly, they hit my expectations bang on.
We even get a bit of Bob Loblaw and his Law Bomb.
So go watch it on Netflix, it might help persuade them to make another season, and regardless of whether you enjoy it or not, you won't be able to just leave the series hanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment