Wednesday 3 April 2013

A sad farewell

I just found out that the company that turned me towards gaming, the one and only Lucas Arts, has been shut down just months after Disney took over.
This comes as a shock for me, not only because Lucas Arts had two solid looking Star Wars games in the mix, but also because they are the developers of my favourite game of all time.
Monkey Island.
Whilst this doesn't mean the end of either of the Star Wars games or the Monkey Island franchise (creator Ron Gilbert has frequently expressed interest in acquiring that from Disney) it is a great shame to see it gone. I remember my father showing me the first Monkey Island game when I was a kid, and over the constant replays of that game, I saw the Lucas Arts logo almost every day for at least a year. It became a part of the person I wanted to be, I wanted to stand amongst the giants who had created gaming perfection and become one of them.
Now that Ron Gilbert has moved on from Tim Schafer's Double Fine company I still reckon that if Ron got the IP from Disney he would return to Tim and his point and click studio (by which time hopefully the world is once again in love with the point and click thanks to Tim's kickstarted "Broken Age") and make more beautiful Monkey Island madness.
But I guess this is just the life we all live in, nothing is forever, not even Lucas Arts.
Farewell, you magnificent beast

No comments:

Post a Comment