Wednesday 15 May 2013

Sad times and spoilers

Just as a quick warning, there will be some spoilers in this post. I warn you now, read at your own risk.

So today has brought me sad news. I've found out that two shows I really enjoyed, Mathew Perry's "Go On" and "Happy Endings" have both been cancelled. This really is sad news, both programmes were consistently funny throughout. I'm disappointed that Go On wasn't renewed for a second season, at no point in the first season did I find the program to subside, and there were many exciting ways for the writers to take Mathew Perry's comedic widower, Ryan King. But at least that show got a happy ending with Ryan finally finding peace in his wife's passing.
Unlike Happy Endings.
I will admit, I wasn't surprised to find out that Happy Endings wouldn't be returning. With many shows, I seem to hear about them long after they first air, but with Happy Endings, I saw it day one, and I loved it. I never liked Penny, but as the show progressed she stopped being less of an annoying anchor dragging down the show and more of a not-so-amusing side character. But overall, I enjoyed the show. It was nice to have a show that just remained silly throughout, yet made you genuinely care about the characters. When Alex and Dave got together at the end of season 2, I was ecstatic. I can't help it, but I get so sick of writers doing the whole "will they, won't they" crap, it was tedious in Friends, and it hasn't got any better.
But as Season 3 drew to an end, Dave and Alex come to the realisation that they never really had a break, they never had serious relationships whilst they were split up, and thus use that as an excuse to end their year long relationship. I was disappointed to see them split, but I was ok knowing that they would probably do the whole relationship stuff during the next season before deciding that they did truly want to give it another shot.
And then ABC cancelled it.
SO now, just as at the end of "The Unit" we are left with these two characters that we care about splitting up, and thats it. No resolution, no happy ending.
With Breaking Bad and Dexter both ending later this year, How I Met your Mother (which I will discuss more later) only around for another year, I'm getting quite worried at what we will be left with. This happened a few years ago when Prison Break, Lost, and 24 were all nearing their end, but I knew there were other shows out there, now I struggle to think of a handful of decent shows.
Right, onto my second rant.
You may have noticed I posted in red at the top that there would be spoilers. I have no issue with people posting spoilers, so long as they take precautions that the spoilers are either hidden, or not blatantly obvious and on show. I can also understand leaving spoilers for a few months or so before revealing them, giving people a chance to catch up on whatever they may spoil.
But what I cannot forgive, are when shows like How I Met your Mother, a show that we have waited 8 YEARS to find out who the mother is, wait until immediately after the show airs in America before posting a giant photo of the mother on their Facebook page, thus popping up unexpectedly in everyones news feed. Everyone outside of America, or those who were unable to watch it at it's first airing, logged into Facebook and had the main event spoiled for them.
I managed to barely miss it thanks to my girlfriend who happened to warn me of the spoiler just seconds before I logged on, thus giving me a chance to go away and watch the episode beforehand.
Now that I have seen it, I will take now as a chance to play Devil's advocate, as the episode ends, we see the gang all making their way to Barney and Robin's wedding, Ted with a gift to win over Robin, Marshall with the news that he is to become a judge, and then finally a woman's boots walking. As we pan up we see the iconic yellow umbrella, and then finally, the face. She says one line and then it cuts to black, so the reveal isn't all that groundbreaking. I am surprised they didn't show her the moment Ted meets her, but I can also see their reasoning for showing her at the end of the episode making her way to the wedding. I can't remember the name of the actress, but for those who watch 30 Rock, she played a blonde bimbo constantly flirting with the staff, before Liz revealing she isn't who she says she is, and thus she revealing she created the persona to flee from her abusive husband (hopefully not a sign for her and Ted).
At the end of the day, it was a real dick move by whoever runs the Facebook fan page. They should have realised that they have fans all over the world that would only have been able to watch it when it first aired if they illegally streamed it online (and they probably would have had to wait hours for that to release). They did it previously when Barney and Robin got engaged and caused the same problem then and it looks like they haven't learned.
I hope this time, the fans rage manage to make some heads turn, but I doubt it. People will continue to spoil things for others, I just wish they wouldn't.
Anyway, this is far too long a rant.
I'll keep you all updated when I start Second Solace.
Farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment