Wednesday 1 May 2013

When you're the crazy one...

I've been super productive over the past few weeks, spending my time between getting a presentation, research proposal, critical essay and creative writing piece done whilst also attempting to calculate how much time it will take to do a graphic novel before the 17th of September by drawing video game characters. The picture is looking pretty awesome right now, and I hope to have it done within the next week or two.
But that's not what I wanted to talk about today. For my Masters course, I am required to write up a research proposal, I don't have to do anything with it once it's complete, I just need to write it, and trust me, it sucks. But I chose to do it on graphic novels and how they engage in political debates. For anyone who reads graphic novels, then it should come as no surprise that a heavy portion of the discussion is centred around Frank Miller.
I heave a theory, when you are having an agreement about something, and you come to realise that you are sounding like a crazy person, then it's best  to admit defeat. Regardless of whether or not you are right, the moment you start sounding crazy is the moment people will stop believing in your opinion. A fantastic example of this would be the interview Pierce Morgan held with gun enthusiast Alex Jones. Alex Jones clearly is very much in favour of guns and the right to own them, which frankly I don't disagree with, I think America needs to change their behaviour towards guns, but I don't deny a person their right to own one as long as they aren't fucking insane (like Alex Jones). I prefer England's laws against guns, but if one day they were allowed, I would get one. For a man who argues about his right to have an opinion, he sure isn't willing to listen to anyone but himself. Jones just comes across as a psychopath, had neither answers Pierce's questions with a reasonable response nor acts in an appropriate manner for what is just a discussion. If their opinions were even remotely likely to have an impact on America's decision to own a gun then still I wouldn't act like a complete crazy. But hey, nobody told him, so maybe he can just go home and rub his guns on himself.
Anyway, I've gone off topic. Frank Miller.
Frank Miller, writer of Sin City, 300, Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, and Holy Terror, is bat shit insane.
Yes this is my opinion, feel free to disagree, I'm not Alex Jones. But the man wrote Holy Terror, and that is the most blatant anti-islamic thing in the whole universe. Written as a piece of propaganda to remind America that they are still at war 10 years after 9/11, it comes across as more of an excuse to fear al-Qaida. Had he really wanted to produce an anti-terrorist piece of work, he would have done a better job to simply mock al-Qaida, but he doesn't. He gives the reader more of an excuse to fear terrorists, which is their biggest weapon in their fight against America.
He also attacked those who participated in "Occupy" on his blog by calling them reprobates and children. Which is mental considering his work in The Dark Knight Returns is basically the same thing but with Batman fighting the government.
Anyway, you can read his attack HERE on his personal website. It all just comes across as needlessly crazy, he wasn't involved in it, he just chose to attack them for the sake of causing issues.
Whilst this is all probably old news now, I only recently came across it, so I felt the need to kick the dead horse a little further. So I'm going to leave it at that, for those who want to watch Alex Jones make an idiot of himself, I've included the video below.
I'll post the video game characters picture when it's completed as soon as possible.
Until then, farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment