Saturday 28 December 2013

The First Annual Bouffant Productions Awards

Here ye, here ye! Gather round, for it's that time of the year that hasn't ever occurred before. It's the First Annual Bouffant Productions Awards!

Best Show of the Year
Runners Up
 - Game of Thrones
 - House of Cards
 - The Walking Dead

And the Winner is...

Breaking Bad

Yes it comes as no surprise that Breaking Bad won. But the swan song of Walter White deserved to win with the most astonishing episode of television this millennium, Ozymandias. The Walking Dead was a fantastic first half of season 4, and I look forward to the next half next year. IT was unsurprising how great Game of Thrones was, but it also had the very depressing Red Wedding, and so I always find it hard to re-watch a series when one episode is so depressing (see Dexter's finale season).

Worth A Mention
 - House of Cards

Netflix's political drama was not something I ever expected to watch, but from it's very first scene I was hooked. If American politics isn't your cup of tea, do it for Kevin Spacey's southern accent and ruthless determination.


Best Film of the Year
Runners Up
 - Star Trek Into Darkness
 - Monsters University
 - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

And the Winner is...

Gravity

Probably another no-brainer, but watching Gravity up on the big screen in 3d was definitely the greatest cinema experience of the year. Whilst it might not hold the same weight on the small 2d screen, it will always hold the number 1 spot for me for 2013.

Worth A Mention
 - Fast and Furious 6

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Fast and Furious franchise is great. The stories are simple, the acting isn't going to win any oscars, but god damn are those films fun. And with Paul Walker's death, I think he deserves this.


Best Game of the Year
Runners Up
 - Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
 - GTA V
 - Tomb Raider

And the Winner is...

The Last of Us

Never before have I spent so long wandering round and admiring the scenery in such a linear game. The Last of Us has an unparalleled level of brilliance, even with GTA V, I just found myself so much more immersed in The Last of Us's world. Congratulations Naughty Dog, you once again did a brilliant job!

Worth a Mention
 - The Wolf Among Us

Telltale proved with The Wolf Among Us that they have found the same art to storytelling that Naughty Dog found with Uncharted and The Last of Us. I decided to mention TWAU over The Walking Dead season 2 because everyone knew that WD would be great, but no one knew if TWAU would carry that same level of power.


Best Song of the Year
(with this award, things will be a little different. I'm going to pick the song of the year that I came across this year, regardless of whether it came out this year or not.)
Runners Up
 - 1977 by Ana Tijoux
 - Bang Bang by Will I Am
 - Not Your Kind of People by Garbage

And the Winner is...

Kiss of Fire by Hugh Laurie and the Copperbottom Band

Hugh Laurie is not the sort of man that most would think of as a musician, but by God can he play! Having had the good fortune to see him play twice now (the first at his very first show in London in an old church and getting the opportunity to sit 3 foot away from him) I can honestly say he puts on one hell of a show.

Worth a Mention
 - Odds Are by Barenaked Ladies

I'm recommending this song, because I was in the music video! When I went to visit Rooster Teeth in 2011 for the very first RTX, we shot a video where we all dressed up as zombies and advanced on Geoff and Gus, and when Barenaked Ladies asked Rooster Teeth to shoot their music video, they reused the footage! Plus its a really cheerful and catchy song.


Best Book of the Year
(again with this one, I don't tend to read current books, so it's whatever book I read this year that I enjoyed)
Runners Up
 - Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
 - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
 - A Storm of Swords by George R R Martin

And the Winner is...

Never Go Back by Lee Child

Plain and Simple, because I love Lee Child books. Jack Reacher is freaking awesome!

Worth a Mention
-The Masque of Anarchy by Percy Bysshe Shelley

Yeah its a poem, but it's the best poem I've ever read. So go read it.

And that wraps up this years Bouffant Productions Awards. Congratulations to all that were nominated. Hope you all strive to be even better in 2014.

And to all my readers, have a great New Year and I'll see you in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment